There’s something universally appealing about a fried dough. Whether it’s a paratha, roti, or in this case, a scallion pancake, these quick and deliciously flaky snacks can bring a bit of warm, crunchy magic to help you power through your midday slump or midnight hunger pangs.
This recipe is a twist on the classic scallion pancake, flavored with our fragrant Mala Spice Mix- a blend of 11 potent herbs and spices, including Erjingtiao chili and our prized Tribute pepper. The addition of Mala Spice Mix brings a warming heat and flavor intrigue that perfectly balances the crispy, flaky pancakes.
MALA SPICED SCALLION PANCAKES
250g AP flour
2/3 cup hot water
Lard or coconut oil
5-6 green scallions, sliced thinly
2 tsp salt
4 tbsp Fly By Jing Mala Spice Mix
- Combine flour with water and knead until a ball forms. Let rest for at least 30 minutes.
- Take out the ball of dough and use a rolling pin to roll into a long rectangular shape with roughly uniform 1mm width.
- Spread lard or coconut oil over the sheet of dough, and rub salt, Mala Spice Mix and scallions evenly over it.
- Roll the dough sheet up from one side to the other until it forms a log.
- Use a knife to cut the log into four roughly equal pieces, and use a rolling pin or the palm of your hand to flatten the log into a pancake, it can be whatever thickness you like.
- Heat up a pan with lard or coconut oil, and fry the pancakes, turning them a few times until golden on both sides and cooked through.
- Slice and serve hot with more sliced scallions.